6.6 Workday Recorder
Workday Specific Recorder is mainly designed to record the Test Step(s) for Test Case(s) or Function Library of the Workday Application. Once you have recorded a Test Script, it can be ”called and used” multiple times in a Business Component and further in Business Processes for Workday Test Accelerator.
It is mainly implemented in OpKey Web for the purpose of automating the Workday application.
Quick Start Screencast:
Objects Recorded through normal mode is very different from Objects recorded through Workday Recording mode in OpKey as it fetches few exceptional properties in order to handle the dynamic nature of objects existing in the Workday application.
These Exceptional properties are –
Need of Workday Recorder
Workday Application is is an on‑demand (cloud-based) financial management and human capital management software having extraordinary features that allows its Objects to change their properties at run time. Since there exists dynamic Objects in the Workday Application, hence it becomes difficult to automate it.
If Recording is performed in the normal mode for the Workday Application then the OpKey web recorder is unable to search objects when the Test step(s) are being executed. This happens because the Id of Objects have dynamic behaviour and changes during run time.
Now, you may thought of using Salesforce recording mode for capturing dynamic Objects but this trick will not work here. The reason is that, Workday application has different controls like lov (List of values) as compared to that of salesforce recorder.
Here, arises the need of Workday recorder.
Although, there are few static objects existing in the Workday application like labels.
Thus, when recording is performed through Workday recorder, it fetches the above listed exceptional properties [with respect to the static Objects] and handles the dynamic behavior of Workday objects internally.
Working with Workday Recorder in OpKey:
- Navigate to the Project workspace section and create a new test case file.
- Go to the toolbar section and click on ‘Record’ icon which provides Seven options: Web Recorder, Mobile Recorder, Oracle Recorder, Desktop Recorder, Salesforce Recorder ,Workday Recorder and Oracle Fusion.
- Select Workday Recorder to perform recording on a workday application.
- The Workday recorder window will get opened.
Step 1: Select Object Repository
The Step 1 of the Workday recorder window asks the User to select Object Repository. This step has two radio buttons with the following options :
Default Object Repository
This radio button is selected, by default. Object Repository will be automatically created in the selected folder.
Choose Object Repository
Once this radio button is selected, the Object Repository tree will get automatically enabled.
Getting Familiar with the icons of the ‘choose Object Repository” option
Expand the tree unless you reach the smallest unit, from where no further expansion is possible.
Select the Object Repository.
You can search for a Specific Folder or Object Repository file by typing its name in the Search box.
Step 2: Select Your Browser
The Step 2 of the Workday recorder window asks the User to select the browser. This step has two radio buttons with the following options :
Chrome Add On
This radio button is selected, by default along with the browser chrome.
It is to be noted that the Add Extension Button will only appear in case the Chrome Add On is not added to the Browser.Click on Add Extension. The Following pop up window will get open
Click on Add Extension. You will see the screen as:
The OpKey Recorder extension will get added to the Chrome Browser on your system.
Now, Start Recording Button will appear on the screen:
Once this radio button is selected, the .Jnlp file starts getting downloaded on your machine.
If the OpKey Smart Recorder is not installed on your system then install it. Otherwise, Click Discard and Open the OpKey Smart Recorder.
The Options to select other browsers will get enabled. You may select any browser of your choice and start Recording.
Getting Started with Recording
Based on the Choice for Step 2 – you can start recording the flow by either of the following:
Click on Start Recording.
Start Recording via Chrome Add On
**It is mandatory that the Chrome Add On radio button is Selected in Step 2 to proceed recording via chrome Add On.
- The OpKey AddOn window will get open along with another window to display the Flow of Live Recording.
Flowchart showing the Working of Workday Recorder via. Chrome Add On
Getting Familiar with the Icons of the OpKey Add On Window-
Click on Open Chrome Window icon and Open the Workday application over the browser.
The Workday application will get open. The first mode is the Record mode in which you to perform and record all the actions on a Workday application.
Perform the desired actions. All the actions will get recorded.
Using Spy Mode of Recorder
While fetching objects in Spy mode, keep holding Ctrl key and hover mouse over the desired object. Properties of spied object get fetched and displayed in bottom pane of the recorder window.
In the above given images, you can view the spied object along with image & properties. Now, the fetched object can be added directly to the step or to OR. If you want to add it to the step then click on Add Step icon by choosing action from the drop down list. When you use Add Step icon then this fetched object will be added within the current recording session only. Also Read: Concept of setting Pivot for an Object
You can also view the flow of live recording here.
Click on Stop & save icon. A pop up window will get open as follows:
Click Yes to save all recorded Steps.
Start Recording via OpKey Smart Recorder
**It is mandatory to select Smart Recorder radio button in Step 2 to proceed recording via OpKey Smart Recorder.
- The Recording window will get open along with the selected browser Open the Workday application over the browser.
Flowchart showing the Working of Workday Recorder via. OpKey Smart Recorder
The Workday application will get opened. Perform the desired actions. All the actions will get recorded.
Getting Familiar with the Icons of the Workday Recorder Window –
- The Workday recorder will fetch few exceptional properties [mentioned previously] to handle the dynamic objects of the Workday application, unlike the normal recording mode.
- *These properties are fetched only if the Objects existing in the Workday Application are dynamic in nature.
- Unlike other tools, Opkey does not require any Static waits to be added in the scripts.
- All types of dynamic loading of the objects are handled internally in OpKey.
Using Spy Mode of Recorder
While fetching objects in Spy mode, keep holding Ctrl key and hover mouse over the desired object. Properties of spied object get fetched and displayed in bottom pane of the recorder window.In the above given images, you can view the spied object along with image & properties. Now, the fetched object can be added directly to the step or to OR.[ ** Similarly spy mode can be used in Workday Application.]If you want to add it to the step then click on Add Step button by choosing action from the drop down list. When you use Add Step button then this fetched object will be added within the current recording session only.Another way to use the fetched object is Add to OR. By using this button, you can directly add this fetched object to the corresponding OR which can be used as per your need, not only within this session but also with other sessions as well.Also Read: Concept of setting Pivot for an Object
- Click on Stop & save icon.
- All the Test Steps will get saved.
Executing the Recorded Test Steps
- Click on Run now.
- The execution wizard window will get opened. Select an Online agent and set the Generic plugin as Workday .
- Click on Finish.
- The Execution will begin. All the Test Steps will get executed one by one and the Execution logs will be generated.
- You can also view the Execution Results by clicking on the icon highlighted in the above screenshot.
- The Execution Result shows that all the Test cases have been passed successfully.
- Click on Export Report icon.
- Export the Summary /Detailed Type Report.
- Click on the downloaded report to view it.
- Congratulations! You have successfully automated a Test Case of a Workday Application through OpKey Workday recorder.